Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Balance

As most infertiles know, America's insurance companies generally do not look kindly upon us.  Lots of procedures related to the condition are not covered and in a world of other necessary expenses, it can be hard to justify paying outright for these medical procedures.

Up until now, I've been able to get away with an "ovarian dysfunction" diagnosis for the blood draws and testing.  I have not received the ultrasound cost statement but I think that will also be covered.  I hope.  However, as I plan to move into things that clearly look like infertility testing to me, i.e. HSG, and an ultrasound series, I'm trying to estimate costs and hedge my bets.

Although I don't know what the HSG and hysterosonogram will cost, I've been able to justify it to myself at least.  This is a basic test, let's go for it.  I'd only have to take a half-day off work.  The ultrasound series and possible surgery are much more difficult for me to justify.

First, I absolutely cannot do the series with Dr. Sti.gen.  She's 2 1/2 hours away, at least and I'd need to take several if not many days off from work and stay in a hotel to get that done.  Nevermind my grandmother lives 20 minutes from Dr. Stig.en's office, she's the last person in the world I would want to know that I'm infertile. Understanding and acceptance were never grandmother's gifts.  I'm not sure if anyone local (within 10 minutes of my work) would know how to do an u/s series.  I guess I could call the radiology dept. and ask????

Two, I'm not in a place where I'm ready to go under the laser.  If I even suspected or had some proof of endo or was in pain, I'd do it no question.  However, after the ultrasound, I'm more convinced that this is not my problem.

Third, I still have the appointment with the RE scheduled for next week.  I've gone back and forth (much like I did with the first appt. with Dr. De.lgado) as to whether I should cancel or keep it.  What is this lady going to tell me that I don't already know or other doctors have/have not told me?  I suspect it will be $475 down the drain.  There are only so many tests to get done and I'm half way through those.

Although I once hated the idea of taking an ovulation inducing drug before knowing if I had a problem with that as evidenced by u/s series results, I'm very seriously thinking about calling Dr. DoucheBag and have him prescribed some Clomid.  He'd said early this year that if I had a progesterone deficiency, he'd not do HRT but give me Clomid.  Even a lay person much like myself knows that low progesterone does not equal "ovulation stimulant."

But I'm starting to look at Dr. Douche as a means to an end.  I don't have to like him.  He just needs to give me what I want at a price I can afford.  What could be the harm in 100mg of Clomid for a couple months post HSG, of course?

No comments:

Post a Comment