Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Latest Hike: South Fork Trail

It was dicey this weekend whether or not we could make the time for a 11-12 mile hike.  To my great surprise, we were able to have a few beers, play pool, and have dinner out Saturday night then go to early Mass Sunday, hang out for awhile for fellowship and then go get some coffee and then head out for the trailhead.  It was really cool to pack everything in since I'm normally stressing about sacrificing something important to go hiking.

South Fork Trail starts at South Fork Campground in the Angeles National Forest, if you're keeping geographical score here.  You know, it's January in the Los Angeles area but we're in the mountains so it's gets cold.  We checked the weather and it was mid-50s for a high and gust of wind about 25 mph.  We were the only ones on the trail which I love.  Isolation is totally my thing which is strange since I get energized by high density urban environments, too but contradiction is joy.

The trail is about 5.2 miles to Islip Saddle, a big parking lot with a couple picnic tables and bathrooms.  The hike is pretty gentle, only about 2,100 feet in elevation gain and you start near a creek/wash and trek up the canyon.  Although we've been hiking since 2007, I've never taken my iPod so this time I decided to take the plunge and it kept me happy despite the winds actually gusting at (my guess) 50 mph.  The hubs thinks it was much less, maybe 35 mph but it was like getting slapped with icicles as you came around a pass.  We made it in record time, 11.5 miles in five hours.

I used to be a pretty wimpy outdoorswoman.  But ever since Peru, I've been really tolerant about cold, crossing rushing rivers, etc.  A lot of that has to do with having all the right equipment finally.

I didn't take any pictures!  And I am loathe to steal anybody else's so I'll send you on a Google search if you're interested to see what it looks like.  

2 comments:

  1. I know I'm a whimpy outdoorswoman also. I used to go camping with my family when I was younger but now it's camp Holiday Inn. :) My brother enjoys hiking. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, impressive!! Sounds like a great time.

    ReplyDelete